NavigationExplore left columnExplore content areaExplore footer area

Ingersoll logo

150 back

Here are a few tips that I would like to share with you in an effort to make things a little safer for you. If you have any questions feel free to call us at 519-485-3910.

 

Flooding is a significant natural hazard in Ontario that can happen at any time. Heavy rains, rapid snowmelt, spring break-up and ice jams, wind-related storm surges across large lakes or the failure of dams can all cause floods. Stay away from moving water and never trust that ice is solid at times when the temperatures are warm.

Fire Safety

The Ingersoll Fire & Emergency Services offer the following fire safety tips if power outages occur during a flood:

  • To reduce fire risk, use flashlights, glow sticks, or battery-operated lanterns instead of candles.
  • If using candles, place them in a secure holder and cover with a glass chimney, away from children and pets.
  • Make sure electric stove elements and small appliances are OFF or unplugged to prevent fires from occurring when the electricity is restored.
  • Propane and charcoal barbecues are for outdoor use only. Do not bring them inside.
  • Make sure your home has battery-operated smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms. Electrically-connected smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms will not work when the power is out unless they have battery back-ups.
  • Use only portable space heaters that have been designed for indoor use. Provide adequate ventilation and refuel the heater outside, when required.
  • Portable generators should only be used outdoors and carefully located to ensure that exhaust fumes do not enter the home.

John Holmes,
Fire Chief

Ingersoll - our heritage, your future

 

Address

 

130 Oxford Street (2nd Floor)
Ingersoll, ON
N5C 2V5 

Business hours are Monday to

Friday from 8:30am to 4:30pm

Latest Tweets

© 2014 The Corporation of the Town of Ingersoll - Website Designed by Akira Studio Ltd.