Street signs are important for indicating to drivers:

Signs on the roadway are placed in accordance to the Ontario Traffic Manual. This manual defines the size, shape, reflective background, height, and location for all signs.


Signs are usually placed due to a bylaw regulating some sort of restriction or road designation. These Bylaws are passed through Council usually through a recommendation from the Town Bylaw Committee.


If you notice any missing, bent, twisted or faded signs, or have a request to have signage changed in a certain location, contact The Ingersoll Public Works at 519-485-0120 or email us at


Street Signs Faq

Who do I call if a street sign is damaged?

You can contact the Public Works Department at 519-485-0120 Monday to Friday 8:30 am to 4:30 pm or send an email to

How does the Town determine where to place signs?

Signs are placed and oriented as outlined in the Ontario Traffic Manual. This ensures that all signs in Ontario are the same height from the ground, distance from the edge of road, colour, and shape.

Who do I contact if I wish to have parking restriction put on or taken off my street?

You can contact the Clerks Department at 519-485-0120 Monday to Friday 8:30 am to 4:30 pm

I would like a stop sign installed at the intersection to slow traffic down?

No. In some areas where speeding is a problem, residents believe that a stop is needed to address a speeding problem. However, other traffic control measures, such as speed limit signs and traffic enforcement, are more effective in controlling speed.

I would like to place a private sign on Town Property, am I permitted to?

No, You may not place a sign on Town property or the roadway

I would like to place a sign on my own property?

You are not permitted to post a sign on your property unless it is done in accordance with the Town of Ingersoll Sign Bylaw