Print Friendly, PDF & Email


Getting Married –


  •  Marriage Ceremonies will not be booked and are indefinitely on hold due to COVID-19 restrictions. 
  • Marriage Licence Application Requests will be processed for LOCAL RESIDENTS ONLY and in the month prior to the wedding date 

Email for information to: [email protected]

The Town of Ingersoll performs Civil Wedding Ceremonies.

The Clerk or any appointed deputy may perform civil wedding ceremonies in the Town Centre, Council Chambers, at 130 Oxford Street in Ingersoll, Monday through Friday from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm (holidays excluded) for a fee of $250.00+HST. For information see Civil Marriage Package & Marriage Licence Application

What is a Civil Marriage?

Definition: A civil marriage is one where the marriage ceremony has a government or civil official perform the ceremony.  A civil marriage is a wedding that takes place without any religious affiliation and meets the legal requirements of the province.

How to get a Marriage Licence

Steps to Obtaining a Marriage Licence

  1. Review the marriage licence requirements (see below).
  2. Download and print the Marriage Licence Application form or get a paper copy from the Town Hall Office.
  3. Complete your Marriage  Licence Application.
  4. Ensure both partners sign and date the application.
  5. Come to the Town hall and submit:

Your completed and signed marriage application

Two pieces of identification for each partner * See acceptable forms of ID below

Divorce documents, if applicable (Certificate of Divorce Form 36B)

  1.  Pay the required fee.

You can apply without your partner if:

  1. Both of you have signed the application, and
  2. You submit the required 2 identifications for each partner

Read on for more detailed information.

Age Minimum to Marry

You must be at least 16 years old to get married in Ontario.

Under 18 years old: If you are 16 or 17 years of age and wish to marry you will need written consent from your parents or legal guardians. You can obtain the required consent form from the Ingersoll Town Hall Office.

Required Fee

The fee for a marriage licence in Ingersoll is $110.00.

Payments accepted:  Cash, debit

marriage licence is valid for 3 months from the date it was issued.

Download the Marriage Licence Application form (PDF)

Required Identification

Each partner must submit (2) pieces of acceptable identification (ID):

Identification must be VALID and ORIGINAL (Photocopies will not be Accepted).

The name on both pieces of your ID must be the same

The first name and last names must match on the two pieces of ID you are presenting. If your ID is not in English, a written translation from a certified translator is required.

Acceptable Identification:

A Birth Certificate and/or Valid Passport and one other piece of id.  One piece must be photo id.

(If you have both your Birth certificate and passport no other identification is needed.)

Driver’s Licence

Ontario Photo Card

Certificate of Canadian Citizenship (Canadian Citizenship Card)

Canadian Government Refugee Travel Document

Conditional Release Identification Card

United States Green Card

Native Status Card

Record of Immigration Landing

Permanent Residency Card

Citizenship Card from any country

Identity Card from any country

Nexus Card

Firearms Acquisition Certificate (FAC)

Possession & Acquisition Licence (PAL)

NOT Accepted as Identification:

Ontario Health Card

Social Insurance Number (SIN) Card

Remarrying After a Divorce

Divorced in Canada

You will need to bring official proof of the divorce with you when you apply for a marriage licence.  This can be the original or a court-certified copy of one of two documents:

  1. A Decree of Absolute (or a court-certified Copy of the Decree of Absolute) if divorced before 1986, or
  2. A Certificate of Divorce, required if the divorce took place after 1986.

A final judgment or Divorce Order is not acceptable. The Divorce Order (Divorce Judgment) is not proof that you are legally divorced because there is usually a 31 day waiting period after the divorce has been granted before it will take effect. The Court will not issue a Divorce Certificate until the waiting period has elapsed and the divorce has taken effect.

Foreign divorces

If you were divorced outside of Canada, you will need to provide certain documents to prove that you are no longer married. The government needs to validate these documents. This process can take up to 4 weeks.

You will need to send the following documents to Service Ontario:

  • marriage licence application form: completed and signed
  • statement of sole responsibility: for each divorce (signed by both people who are planning to get married and a witness)
  • legal opinion letter: from an Ontario lawyer, addressed to both people who plan to get married, giving reasons why the divorce or annulment should be recognized in Ontario
  • divorce decree or annulment: an original or court-certified copy in English or French. If the decree is in another language, you will need to include a translated copy and an affidavit sworn by a certified translator

Note: Completed Foreign Divorce Authorizations to marry are sent to applicants by courier.  It is important that your full mailing address including suite/unit/apartment and buzzer number is included on the marriage licence application form, or the courier package cannot be delivered and returned to Service Ontario.

Marrying After the Death of a Spouse

A death certificate is required if you wish to be married and you have been widowed.

Other Information

There is no gender, residency, citizenship or medical requirements for obtaining a marriage licence.

Getting a Marriage Certificate

marriage certificate is the legal record of a marriage. It lists the date and place of the marriage, and names of the people who were married.

You need this document to:

  1. show legal proof you are married
  2. apply for certain social benefits
  3. settle an estate
  4. change a last name

A Record of Solemnization of Marriage is not the same thing as a Marriage Certificate.

Before you can get a marriage certificate, a marriage needs to be registered.

The official who performed the marriage will do this by sending a complete and signed marriage licence to the Office of the Registrar.

To order a marriage certificate after your wedding go to

Changing Your Last Name After Marriage

It is not required that you change your last name after marriage.  Should you or your spouse wish to change your/their last name go to the Service Ontario website for more information:

For any clarification or assistance please call, email or visit us at the Town Hall office.

Contact Information  –  Marriage licences are issued between the hours of 8.30am until 4pm.                           

Wedding Officiant
Ingersoll Town Hall
130 Oxford Street, Ingersoll
Tel: 519-485-0120
Email: [email protected]

Subscribe For Updates

Subscribe For Updates