Police Service Board
WELCOME TO THE NEW “HOME” OF THE INGERSOLL POLICE SERVICE BOARD
Effective Feb 2003 the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) began policing the Town of Ingersoll.
WHAT IS THE POLICE SERVICE BOARD?
Every municipality in Ontario that contracts with the OPP or that has a municipal police force must have a civilian police service board. Police services boards are independent bodies established by provincial legislation called the Police Services Act. The boards represent community interests and are accountable to the Ministry of Community Safety & Correctional Services, and the Ontario Civilian Police Commission.
HOW DOES THE OPP POLICING IN INGERSOLL AFFECT THE INGERSOLL POLICE SERVICE BOARD?
The current Ingersoll Police Services Board continues to represent community interests in policing. The Board’s specific responsibilities are now governed by Section 10 of the Police Services Act.
Please click here for more information on Section 10 boards.
WHAT ARE THE ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE BOARD?
With OPP policing the Board’s role under Section 10 is to:
- Participate in the selection of the Detachment Commander of the Ingersoll Detachment;
- Generally determine objectives and priorities for police services, after consultation with the Detachment Commander;
- Establish, after consultation with the Detachment Commander, any local policies with respect to police services (but the board shall not establish provincial policies of the OPP with respect to police services);
- Monitor the performance of the Detachment Commander;
- Receive regular reports from the Detachment Commander; and
- Review the Detachment Commander’s administration of the complaints system under Part V (PSA), and receive regular reports from the Detachment Commander on his or her administration of the complaints system.
HOW MAY I CONTACT THE BOARD?
Citizens may wish to contact the Board to bring forward concerns about crime prevention and public safety within our community. For inquiries, please contact:
Mail to 130 Oxford Street 2ndfloor, Ingersoll ON N5C 2V5 attention Police Service board Secretary
or fax to 519 485 3543 attention Police Service Board Secretary
WHO ARE THE MEMBERS OF THE POLICE SERVICES BOARD?
The Ingersoll Police Services Board has five (5) members: two members of Town Council, two citizens appointed by the province as community representatives, and one citizen appointed by Town Council as a community representative.
To be considered for membership by appointment by the Lieutenant Governor in Council, please see the Police Services Board Vacancy Information Sheet
INGERSOLL POLICE SERVICES BOARD
The council members and the citizen appointed by council serve for the duration of the Council term. The provincial appointees serve up to three-year terms, which expire at various times. At the first meeting each year, the Board appoints a Chairperson for that year.
- Chair Mhairi Kersel, provincial appointee
- Vice Chair Darell Parker, provincial appointee
- Mayor Ted Comisky, council appointee
- Rick Eus, Council appointee
- Sam Horton, citizen appointee
IPSB BOARD MEETINGS AND AGENDAS
The Board currently meets 10Xs per year or at the call of the Chair in J.C. Herbert room in the Town of Ingersoll Municipal Office. Citizens are welcome to attend meetings. Please check the Town’s website calendar for dates. Agendas and minutes are posted below.
|16/09/2019||Ingersoll Police Service Board||Agenda|
|23/07/2019||Ingersoll Police Service Board||Agenda|
|25/06/2019||Ingersoll Police Service Board||Agenda|
|28/05/2019||Ingersoll Police Service Board||Agenda|
|30/04/2019||Ingersoll Police Service Board||Agenda|
|26/03/2019||Ingersoll Police Service Board||Agenda||Minutes|
|05/03/2019||Ingersoll Police Service Board||Agenda||Minutes|
|30/01/2019||Ingersoll Police Service Board||Agenda||Minutes|